Shared Care Scotland works to improve the quality, choice and availability of short breaks (respite care) provision across Scotland. With over 20 years’ of experience, we believe we play a leading role in promoting and supporting better breaks for all.
Our vision is a Scotland where everyone who receives or provides unpaid care can live happy and fulfilled lives with the support they need to take regular, quality breaks from the demands of their caring situations.
We are committed to collaborative working in the pursuit of this goal, where carers and the people they care for have an equal voice in determining the shape and future direction of provision.
Why do we believe this is so important?
In Scotland it is estimated there are over 650,000 people who care for a family member, partner or friend, who may be ill, disabled, or dependent on drugs or alcohol. Short breaks provide a much-needed release from the physical and emotional demands of the caring situation and help promote health and wellbeing.
People need a break for a reason. We understand that respite and relaxation are critical parts of life, whatever the circumstances. Everyone needs some time for themselves, to pursue interests, to spend in the company of friends and family, or simply to rest and recharge.
The objectives of Shared Care Scotland are therefore:
- To improve short breaks policy and practice at all levels through collaborative effort
- To advance good practice through research, learning exchange and development projects
- To provide accessible, up-to-date information and advice about short breaks to all those who use, provide or plan services
- To connect people together to share experiences and ideas
As an organisation we aim to be:
- A positive ‘forum’ where people can connect, collaborate and be inspired
- At the forefront of innovation in short break planning and practice
- An organisation that learns and evolves with experience
- Responsible, reliable and relevant
- Passionate, practical and positive
- Ambitious, accountable and achieving
From 2010 onwards the main focus of our efforts and activities will be to continue progress towards the Breakthrough Vision and Aims.
The aims of the Breakthrough campaign are:
- To make high quality, imaginative and affordable short break services available to all unpaid carers in Scotland.
- To substantially increase the short break options available to suit people with different needs and priorities.
- To give people choice and control over how, when and where their short breaks are provided.
- To make sure that short break support continues as people grow older and health conditions change.
- To put people using short break services at the centre of planning and commissioning decisions in their local area.
- To make sure that an emergency response plan is available to anyone who needs it allowing for appropriate replacement care in emergency situations.
To read a short history of Shared Care Scotland please click here