Vision and mission
The ultimate aim of Respitality is to provide a short vital break for unpaid carers in Scotland when they need it most. This is achieved by connecting carers’ organisations with hospitality, tourism and leisure businesses who are willing to donate a break free of charge.
Respitality is a Scottish Government supported project which is delivered locally by approved Respitality Delivery Partners and coordinated nationally by Shared Care Scotland.
Why Respitality is needed
- Caring for someone else can be mentally and physically tiring
- Breaks from routine are vital for unpaid carers’ mental and physical health
- For a range of reasons, including financial pressures, carer concerns and limited time, it is often difficult for carers to take the time out to fully recharge, or to spend quality time on their own or with family and friends.
How it works in practice
As the carers organisations hold the trusted relationships with unpaid carers in the communities and build relationships with local businesses, Respitality in Scotland is delivered as a social franchise. This means that the model of Respitality is delivered on the ground by local carers organisations that commit to delivering it, whilst Shared Care Scotland provide ongoing practical support nationally to the organisations to ensure Respitality thrives.
You can read a short case study on a carer & business perspective of being involved with Respitality in North Argyll here.
How do I get involved?
Carers can access Respitality if their local authority area delivers Respitality at a local level. Please go to our Carers Information page for more details.
Businesses are welcome to donate a break regardless of their location. Please go to our Business Information page for more details.
If you are an organisation who supports unpaid carers and would be interested in exploring the possibility of delivering Respitality in your local authority area, please go to our Information for Professionals page for more details.
Current local Respitality projects
Respitality is currently operating in 14 local authority areas, click below to visit each organisations page:
- Aberdeenshire: Quarriers Aberdeenshire
- Angus: Angus Carers Centre
- Borders: Borders Carers Centre
- Clackmannanshire: Falkirk & Clackmannanshire Carers Centre
- Dundee: Dundee Carers Centre
- East Ayrshire: East Ayrshire Carers Centre
- Edinburgh: Care 4 Carers, Edinburgh Young Carers and Voices of Carers Across Lothians
- Falkirk: Falkirk & Clackmannanshire Carers Centre
- Midlothian: Voices of Carers Across Lothians
- North Argyll: North Argyll Carers Centre
- North Lanarkshire: Lanarkshire Carers Centre
- Perthshire: PKAVS Carers Hub
- Shetland Islands: Voluntary Action Shetland
- South Lanarkshire: Lanarkshire Carers Centre