Benefits to carers
- You are welcome to bring the cared for person on the break if you wish.
- The arrangement of the break is made entirely by the local carers organisation, therefore there is no pressure on you to plan your break.
- Breaks are donated free of charge, therefore Respitality is an affordable short breaks option.
- After a Respitality break, carers regularly report:
- An improvement in their health and wellbeing
- An improvement in their relationships with their loved ones
- Increased confidence to continue in their caring role
- Higher likelihood to access more breaks in future
- Mutual relaxing benefits to both the carer and cared for person
Breaks through Respitality can be whatever matters to you as a break! Click here to check out our blog on a unique break opportunity through Respitality created in Shetland.
Frequently asked questions
Who delivers Respitality? Shared Care Scotland co-ordinate the project nationally and work with local carers organisations to support them to deliver Respitality locally.
How do I access a Respitality break? The process varies across Scotland, therefore you are best to contact your local carers organisation to find out how they operate. You can only access Respitality if it is delivered locally to where you live.
I have savings – does this mean I am not eligible? Respitality breaks are not means-tested, therefore your income and savings are not taken into account. However, other factors may be considered to determine priority (for example, when you last had a break from your caring role).
Is there a cost? All breaks donated to Respitality are free, however there may be other costs to you such as transport and food.
Current local Respitality projects
Respitality is currently operating in 14 local authority areas, click below to visit each organisations page:
- Aberdeenshire: Quarriers Aberdeenshire
- Angus: Angus Carers Centre
- Borders: Borders Carers Centre
- Clackmannanshire: Falkirk & Clackmannanshire Carers Centre
- Dundee: Dundee Carers Centre
- East Ayrshire: East Ayrshire Carers Centre
- Edinburgh: Care 4 Carers, Edinburgh Young Carers and Voices of Carers Across Lothians
- Falkirk: Falkirk & Clackmannanshire Carers Centre
- Midlothian: Voices of Carers Across Lothians
- North Argyll: North Argyll Carers Centre
- North Lanarkshire: Lanarkshire Carers Centre
- Perthshire: PKAVS Carers Hub
- Shetland Islands: Voluntary Action Shetland
- South Lanarkshire: Lanarkshire Carers Centre