Shared Care Scotland works to improve the quality, choice and availability of short breaks (respite care) provision across Scotland for carers and for those they help care for. With over 20 years’ experience, we aim to play a leading role in promoting and supporting better breaks for all.
“A Scotland where everyone who receives support or provides unpaid care can live a full and satisfying life, with the assistance they need to take regular, quality breaks from the everyday demands of their caring routines.”
People need a break for a reason: to spend time in the company of friends and family, to pursue interests and leisure, or simply for rest or recreation. We believe that everyone has the right to practical assistance and support to participate in society and live an ordinary life.
We are committed to collaborative working in the pursuit of this vision where carers and those receiving care for have an equal voice in determining the future direction of short breaks provision.
Our mission is:
- To improve the quality, choice and availability of short breaks and respite care throughout Scotland for the benefit of both carers and those receiving support;
- To improve short breaks policy and practice at all levels through collaborative effort;
- To advance good practice through research, learning exchange and service development;
- To provide accessible, up-to-date information and advice about short breaks to all who use, provide or plan services;
- To bring people together to share experiences, ideas and be creative.
We aim to be:
- A positive forum where people can connect, collaborate and be inspired;
- At the forefront of innovation in short break planning and practice;
- An organisation that learns and evolves with experience.
We are committed to operating in ways which are:
- Responsible, accountable and reliable;
- Relevant, practical and accessible;
- Positive and ambitious.
You can read our plans for 2017 – 2020 here: SCS Strategic Priorities (2017-20)
You can read our 2018-19 Annual Report and Financial Statement here: Final Full Accounts 2019_1202602