The Carers (Scotland) Act 2016 is legislation that promises to ‘promote, defend and extend the rights’ of adult and young carers across Scotland.
In this section we aim to provide all of the background information to the Carers Act and its progress into legislation. If you are interested in finding out more about how legislation is made, the National Carer Organisations have produced a guide. This can be downloaded here: Understanding how law is made – A guide for carers
The Bill (the draft legislation) progressed through parliament between 2015 and 2016. You can read the Bill and the accompanying Policy and Financial Memorandum documents here
A range of stakeholders, including Shared Care Scotland, were able to have their say on what the Bill should contain. This included giving evidence both independently and as one of the National Carers Organisations (NCOs). We have also used our respective networks to gather feedback directly from carers so that their voice is heard.
You can read the evidence provided by Shared Care Scotland here:
- Shared Care Scotland evidence to Health and Sport Committee SCS Carers Bill Response (FINAL)
- Shared Care Scotland evidence to Finance Committee SCS Carers Bill Finance Response (v010515) (4)
- National Carer Organisations evidence to Health and Sport Committee CSB052_-_National_Carer_Organisations
The Scottish Parliament provided reports and responses to this first stage of the Bill. These are here:
- Scottish Parliament Health and Sport Committee Stage 1 Report on the Carers Bill
- Scottish Parliament Finance Committee Report on Carers Bill
- Scottish Government Response to Health and Sport Committee Report 20151027-SG_Response-Stage1
During the progress of a Bill there are various opportunities for stakeholders to propose any changes they would like to see to make the legislation stronger. These ‘amendments’ are considered by government and may or may not be taken forward. Those proposing the amendments need to provide strong arguments and evidence. Again, Shared Care Scotland submitted proposed amendments as one of the NCOs. These can all be viewed below:
- NCO summary of amendments proposed Joint stage 1 briefing FINAL 301015
- Detailed Short Breaks amendment Carers Bill briefing – short breaks
- Details of other amendment proposed by the NCOs can be found on the Coalition of Carers Scotland here
- Letter and Paper to MSPs relating to concerns about the lack of funding in Bill for Replacement Care SG Carers Bill Funding 151102 (004)
The Health and Sport Committee met in two sessions at the end of November 2016 to agree what amendments would be taken forward at Stage 2. This presentation from the Coalition of Carers in Scotland provides a summary of what has been approved. Further amendments may be proposed at Stage 3 and this includes amendments not agreed at Stage 2 where further information has been provided to support the amendment.
Amendments to be taken forward at Stage 3 can be viewed below:
- Carers (Scotland) Bill as amended at Stage 2
- Marshalled List of Amendments for Stage 3
- NCO Briefing for Carers (Scotland) Bill Stage 3
The Stage 3 debate for the Carers (Scotland) Bill was held in Parliament on the 4th of February and the Bill was voted through to become an Act of Parliament. This briefing by the Coalition of Carers provides a brief summary of the final amendments made to the Bill and those that were debated, but not passed by the Parliament.