OPEN NOW FOR APPLICATIONS
About this funding
The Better Breaks programme provides 12 month grants to third sector organisations to develop and deliver short breaks projects and services for children and young people with disabilities (aged 20 and under), and their carers (adult and/or young carers).
A total of £1.2 million is available for the 2018 round of the Better Breaks funding programme. Grants are for one year and will be awarded in March 2018. The maximum grant award is £50,000. The average grant award in previous years has been around £16,000.
Deadline for applications is 5pm on Thursday 23 November 2017. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Scroll down to watch our applicant video for information on the funding programme and how to apply
Who can apply?
If you can answer YES to the following questions about your organisation, then you are eligible to apply for a Better Breaks grant:
- Is your organisation a third sector (voluntary) organisation operating in Scotland?
- Is your organisation a registered charity OR a constituted organisation that has only charitable purpose(s) and that delivers public benefit?
- Does your organisation have all of the relevant registrations, policies and procedures required for your work in place (e.g. PVG checks, safeguarding, Care Inspectorate registration etc.)?
- Does your organisation have appropriate and effective governance and financial management arrangements, and a bank account in the name of the organisation that requires at least two signatories?
For further details, please see the Guidance for Applicants document.
The Better Breaks programme funds a wide range of short breaks projects and activities. These can include breaks away, days out, and/or shorter, regular activities and sessions. The activities can be for the children and young people with disabilities, for their carers, or for families to enjoy together.
To be eligible for Better Breaks funding, projects must be able to evidence how their activities will benefit both children and young people with disabilities and their carers, by providing a break from their normal routine. These breaks should increase opportunities for children and young people to engage in activities they enjoy, give carers a break from their caring role, and improve wellbeing for all involved.
How to apply
To apply, complete the application form and budget template in full, and send these with your most recent accounts, governing document and job descriptions for any posts funding is requested for to email@example.com by 5pm on Thursday 23 November 2017.
Click here to download…
We ran four workshops for applicants in October and November. You can watch the recording of the online workshop below.
We’d love to hear your feedback on the video. Please take 2 minutes to complete this very short survey:
Click here to download Workshop Slides
Phone in sessions
We are holding phone in sessions on the following days. Please call during the times listed below to discuss your application with the Short Breaks Fund team. Our number is 01383 622462
- Friday 6 October, 10am-1pm
- Tuesday 17 October, 2-5pm
- Thursday 9 November, 10am-1pm
- Thursday 16 November, 2-5pm
For more information on previously funded projects, please visit: http://shortbreakstories.org.uk